|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject involves laboratory or field-based experimental research in an area of Genetics. The research projects cover a broad range of research from molecular to population and evolutionary genetics in micro-organisms, insects, plants and animals. The project will be based in the laboratory of an academic staff member in the department or an approved external supervisor, depending on the particular research project. The research project aims to develop a range of experimental and technical skills, a capacity to set goals and to design and plan experiments. Apart from the help and guidance from their supervisor(s) each student also has a committee which regularly meets with them and provides additional help and expertise. This committee is responsible for assessment of the research project subject. The subject also provides students with skills and knowledge for understanding original research and enhanced written and oral communication skills.
Intended learning outcomes
Objectives of this subject are for students to:
The subject involves experimental research in the area of genetics under the direction of a supervisor.
- understand the way in which experiments in genetics are designed, communicated and interpreted;
- extend their abilities in oral and written scientific communication;
- gain the ability to read and assimilate specific research papers and to understand how the research reported relates to the broad field of genetics;
- acquire experience in planning and executing laboratory or field-based experimental research;
- develop effective skills in data collection and analysis, and postulating testable hypotheses based on this data.
This subject should provide students with the opportunity to develop the following generic skills:
- the ability to evaluate scientific literature;
- the ability to use conceptual models to assess experimental data;
- the ability to conduct research;
- the capacity to articulate their knowledge and understanding in written and oral presentations;
- the capacity for high level written report presentation skills;
- the capacity for oral communication and presentation skills;
- time management and self-management skills.
Last updated: 3 November 2022