Advanced Imaging (GEOM90038)
Graduate courseworkPoints: 12.5On Campus (Parkville)
About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable(opens in new window)
Dr Kourosh Khoshelham
|Fees||Look up fees|
To introduce students to advanced and esoteric imaging technologies and the methods for extracting quantitative information from multi-source imagery. This subject builds on the knowledge of subjects such as imaging the environment, by considering multi-source images of the target to provide additional information such as the distance from the target to object from which a three dimensional representation can be constructed. It also considers imaging of targets where illumination is provided by the instrument rather than natural light reflection or radiation from the target. Students who successfully complete this subject may find work in a variety of remote sensing or specialist consultancies or agencies. The techniques learnt may also be applied to other industries such as quality control in manufacturing or recording of archaeological sites.
The subject covers the characteristics of specialised imaging techniques and instruments including LIDAR, photogrammetry, and high resolution satellite imagery, as well as processing techniques for generating products such as orthoimages and digital terrain models. It also discusses considerations, inherent errors, and limitations of each of these techniques.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)
On completion of this subejct the student is expected to:
- Describe the acquisition and characteristics of specialized image data
- Identify the appropriate combination of imaging techniques to meet a particular need
- Apply image processing to solve extract quantitative information from imagery
- Evaluate the accuracy of image processing and the derived products.
- Ability to apply knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large
- Ability to manage information and documentation.
Last updated: 3 November 2022