|Look up fees
As with many other forms of technology, information technologies have lifecycles ranging from initial conception, to possible adoption, and widespread use, to eventual obsolescence.This subject will examine emerging information technologies and the issues that relate to them, including: how they evolve and, enter usage, and their likely future effects on people and social structures.
The subject provides an understanding of both technical and managerial issues, as well as strategic implications of emerging technologies and issues. Upon completion of the subject, students should be able to (a) understand key enabling technologies and become an effective participant in technology-enabled business endeavours and initiatives; (b) recognize ways of leveraging the technology to improve intra and inter-organizational processes and enhance a firm’s competitive position; (c) gain skills for building careers and taking advantage of entrepreneurial opportunities through emerging technologies, and (d) understand the factors that influence how relevant an emerging technology will be in the long run.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILOs)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Have developed a sound knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies in the context of management practice of Information Systems in Organisations
- Have developed and applied skills in critical thinking and systems analysis to identify, evaluate and/or communicate strategic and operational issues related to emerging technologies in the real-world practice of Information Systems
- Research and argue disparate beliefs/theories of Emerging Technology Theory.
On completion of this subject, students should have developed the following generic skills:
- Analytical and interpretative skills, through the conceptualization of classes of technology and through the analysis of a real world case
- High-level design skills, through proposing new uses of technology to support human activity
- Team-work, through working on a group project
- Report-writing skills
- Presentation skills
Last updated: 3 November 2022