|Look up fees
An overview of musical works and ideas from the 19th century. Representative works of the period are introduced in their social and cultural contexts. The subject also looks at music and its audiences, and the role of music institutions in shaping music history. The focus will mainly be Western Europe with a segment on music in Australia.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should have developed:
- the ability to understand and contextualise music from the 19th Century;
- a range of approaches to understanding music history;
- skills in critical thinking and analysis;
- research methods basic to the scholarly study of music of this period and an awareness of the latest research in the area.
On completion of this subject, students will have developed:
- a capacity for independent critical thought;
- an openness to new ideas;
- knowledge, skills and practices which provide a basis for independent critical inquiry and research-based writing.
Last updated: 20 February 2024