|Fees||Look up fees|
In this subject, we explore representative styles of Western art music from 1900 to the present. The music will be examined from a number of perspectives including nationalist and internationalist currents, modernist tendencies and the quest for order and disorder, and with reference to wider socio-cultural contexts. The music of Australia will also be studied in relation to corresponding global trends.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- understand and contextualise music from the 20th century to the present;
- undertake basic scholarly work using the bibliographic tools of music to discuss the music of the period covered;
- develop critical listening/score-reading skills for engagement with the music of the period.
On completion of this subject, students will have developed:
- a capacity for independent critical thought;
- an openness to new ideas;
- knowledge, skills and practices which provide a basis for independent critical inquiry and research-based writing.
Last updated: 2 December 2023