Project Management in Science (SKIL90004) // Further information
About this subject
- Eligibility and requirements
- Dates and times
- Further information
- Timetable(opens in new window)
Dr Reeva Lederman
None. Readings will be provided on-line.
- Subject notes
The following content will be covered
- What is a project?
- Project Roles
- Planning a Project
- Budgeting and cost estimation
- Risk Management
- Documentation of Projects
- Organisational Structure and Culture
- Evaluating and ending projects
INDICATIVE KEY LEARNING RESOURCES
There will be no set text book but the following recommended texts are appropriate.
- Schwalbe, K., Introduction to Project Management, Fourth Edition, Course Technology 2012 (or similar books by Schwalbe)
- Gido and Clements., Successful Project Management, 5th ed., South-Western Cengage Learning, 2011.
- Meredith, J and Mantel, S. Project Management: A Managerial Approach, 8th Ed., Wiley, 2012.
CAREERS / INDUSTRY LINKS
This subject is relevant to careers as project consultants and managers in scientific fields. Since many large science-based organizations today carry out significant project work there is a large on-going demand for people with knowledge of this topic from both private consulting and government run organizations. Students will develop real world skills that they can use in industry. There will be one or two lectures from invited practitioners from industry.
- Related Handbook entries
This subject contributes to the following:
- Available through the Community Access Program
About the Community Access Program (CAP)
This subject is available through the Community Access Program (also called Single Subject Studies) which allows you to enrol in single subjects offered by the University of Melbourne, without the commitment required to complete a whole degree.
Entry requirements including prerequisites may apply. Please refer to the CAP applications page for further information.
Additional information for this subject
Subject coordinator approval required
Last updated: 3 November 2022