About this course
- Entry and participation requirements
- Attributes, outcomes and skills
- Course structure
- Breadth requirements
- Subject options
- Majors, minors and specialisations
- Further study
Students must complete at least one major. A major consists of 50 points of study at third year-level within a single discipline. A discipline is an area of knowledge, such as Architecture or Spatial Systems.
A maximum of two majors may be recognised. Double majors are only available in selected disciplines. Further information about double majors can be found at:
It is not possible to complete a major and a minor in the same discipline.
50 points at 3rd year-level with subjects through the major controlled through the use of prerequisite chains.The prerequisite sequence for majors begins in first year. Please refer to each major’s handbook entry for more details.
- Specialisations consist of 25 points of study at third year level. First and second year-level prerequisite subjects may be required. Please check Handbook entries for individual specialisations.
- Specialisations are a short sequence of subjects that focus particular themes relevant across multiple disciplines. Subjects in specialisations do not form part of any existing major but are distinctive and are complementary to a student’s major. Completions of specialisations may support a research pathway, lead to accreditation with industry bodies or may increase employment opportunities. First and second year-level prerequisite subjects may be required. Please check Handbook entries for individual specialisations.
- Minors consist of 50 points of study at first, second, and/or third year (taken in any combination).Please check MSD web site for individual minors. Prerequisites may apply.
- Minors are a shortened sequence of subjects taken from the range of existing majors in the degree. They provide a complementary course of study to a student’s major and, in some circumstances, may offer a pathway to a shortened 300 point Masters degree. First and second year-level prerequisite subjects may be required.
Elective: Electives are chosen from any subject offered within the Bachelor of Design. Prerequisites for some subjects will apply. Please check handbook entries for prerequisite requirements.
Breadth Options: Bachelor of Design students must complete a minimum of 50 points (four subjects), and a maximum of 75 points (six subjects), of breadth subjects.
At least 12.5 points of breadth must be taken at Level 2 or 3, and no more than 37.5 points may be taken at Level 1
Breadth Subjects Available for Bachelor of Design Students
- University Breadth Subjects.
- English as a Second Language Subjects
- Subjects offered in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Environments, Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Science that are available as breadth and that contrast with your major (or intended major).
- Some subjects from within the majors in the Bachelor of Design may be available as breadth, depending on which major you are intending to take.
Note: For not allowed breadth subjects in Bachelor of Design click here