Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete this course will be able to:
Analyse data and build mathematical models to solve business problems:
- State a business problem clearly and choose an appropriate quantitative model for the situation
- Build optimisation models
- Undertake statistical modelling of data
Translate between analytical models and the business outcomes of an organisation:
- Explain and critically analyse factors that influence decision making
- Communicate effectively with both analytical professionals and top-level decision makers
- Identify issues and solutions within firms
Be an effective decision maker:
- Apply ethical principles to address real-world issues and problems
- Use evidence-based techniques to support decisions
- High level of development: problem solving; statistical reasoning; application of theory to practice; interpretation and analysis; synthesis of data and other information; evaluation of data and other information; use of computer software; accessing data and other information from a range of sources.
- Moderate level of development: written communication; critical thinking; receptiveness to alternative ideas.
- Some level of development: collaborative learning; team work.
On successful completion of this degree graduates will be:
- Adept at analysis and evaluation of business problems to enable evidence-based business and decision making;
- Able to analyse data from both a business and analytics perspective;
- Effective problem solvers as project leaders, analysts and managers in business context;
- Proficient in professional knowledge and skills in business analytics;
- Competent at analysing and evaluating information to enable evidence-based business decision making;
- Strategic and critical thinkers in relation to business issues in organisations and markets;
- Problem solvers in business systems through the application of appropriate theories, principles and data;
- Effective communicators of business analytics concepts and solutions to peers and the wider community; and
- Able to conduct basic research and to retrieve business and information technology information from a variety of sources.
Last updated: 9 July 2020