|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject studies Aboriginal dance, theatre and popular music, cultural and sporting festivals; governmental arts funding agencies; and Aboriginal arts organisations. It focuses on theoretical and political issues which arise from Aboriginal culture being both a commodity and a vehicle of Indigenous identity and resistance. It uncovers the diverse and transitional nature of contemporary Aboriginal cultural production and the social and political contexts which frame the creation and use of contemporary Aboriginal cultural production. Students undertaking this subject should develop an understanding of the politics of consumption and appreciation of Aboriginal cultural productions as well as the politics of content.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should have:
- an ability to appreciate (for non-Aboriginal students especially) the politics of reading positions in relation to Aboriginal cultural production;
- an appreciation of the diversity of Aboriginal cultural production, in terms of form, content, voice and place;
- an understanding of the problematics of Aboriginal cultural production in the context of postcolonial Australia, and its relation to everyday life;
- a developed an understanding of relevant critical theories and appropriation methodologies in relation to contemporary Aboriginal cultural production; and
- an ability to undertake independent research and produce high quality written material that uses rigorous methods of inquiry and encompasses the complexities and sensitivities of Australian Indigenous Studies.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain the following genric skills:
- a developed understanding of relevant critical theories and methods;
- the ability to work effectively as an individual and member of class;
- competency in the use of a wide range of research applications and resources;
- the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and comprehensively; and
- the ability to produce high quality written material in a timely manner.
Last updated: 5 May 2021