|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces the fundamental concepts of computing programming, and how to solve simple problems using high-level procedural language, with a specific emphasis on data manipulation, transformation, and visualisation of data.
Fundamental programming constructs; fundamental data structures; abstraction; basic program structures; algorithmic problem solving; use of modules.
The subject assumes no prior knowledge of computer programming.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- 1. Develop programs that can manipulate static, structured large data using the Python programming language
- 3. Employ basic algorithmic problem‐solving techniques
- 2. Use programming to effectively communicate data to non‐technical people
- 4. Identify the kind of data and algorithm most appropriate for solving a given problem.
On completion of this subject, students should have developed the following skills:
- •Exercise critical judgement; undertake rigorous and independent thinking
- • Adopt a problem-solving approach to new and unfamiliar tasks
- • Develop high-level written report and/or oral presentation skills
- • Develop high-level comprehension of technical literature skills
- • Work as part of a team.