|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This unit is for students to develop themselves through a better understanding of the theories important to engineering leadership and management practice. The focus of the unit is to integrate leadership and management theory and practice in the context of the real life professional engineering role in organisational and industrial settings.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the completion of this subject, students are expected to:
- Have developed an appreciation and understanding of management skills needed by engineers to better develop and manage the implementation of solutions
- Be able to understand the consequences of the above solutions and their implementation on an organization’s financial, physical and human resources
- Have enhanced their management skills such as communication, negotiation, staff motivation, and development and performance management so they can execute the above solutions through others.
After completing this unit the student is expected to -
- Understand different roles and role expectations of engineers and managers
- Understand the purpose of management
- Apply key management and leadership concepts and techniques that relate to communication, negotiation, staff motivation, development and performance management in an engineering context
- Identify and execute the activities involved in the planning, organising and controlling functions of management
- Understand the importance of interpersonal communication and how this influences relationships
- Identify their own psychological and emotional responses to stressful organisational contexts and to better manage these responses
- Understand how different leadership and management practices shape an organisation's performance culture
- Understand the difficulty of attributing business success to any single management activity, and demonstrate an ability to analyse complex business problems; and communicate these ideas in a coherent and critically aware manner to key stakeholders
- Better integrate 'self' into the team management and leadership processes of an organisation.