|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Undergraduate Level 2|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject introduces BMus students to the Indonesian gamelan, an ensemble of tuned percussion, gongs, and chimes. Through weekly rehearsals culminating in an end-of-semester performance, students learn to perform and analyse the traditional interlocking melodies of Indonesian music on several instruments.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- perform to a basic standard on several Javanese instruments;
- work cooperatively as a member of a gamelan ensemble;
- demonstrate basic musical competency as a performer of gamelan music;
On completion of this subject students should have the ability to:
- demonstrate an openness to new ideas about music;
- work cooperatively in a music ensemble;
- think critically and independently as a musician;
- understand and appreciate cultural diversity.