|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject introduces students to the Indonesian gamelan, an ensemble of tuned percussion, gongs, and chimes. Through weekly rehearsals culminating in an end-of-semester performance, students learn to perform and analyse the traditional interlocking melodies of Indonesian music on several instruments.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- perform competently on several Javanese instruments;
- work cooperatively as a member of a gamelan ensemble;
- demonstrate basic musical competency as a performer of gamelan music;
- identify and describe the cultural and historical significance of the gamelan in Indonesian society.
On completion of this subject students should have the ability to:
- demonstrate an openness to new ideas about music;
- work cooperatively in a music ensemble;
- think critically and independently as a musician;
- understand and appreciate cultural diversity.
Last updated: 10 December 2019