|Fees||Look up fees|
The subject allows students to sharpen their skills in listening, speaking, reading, writing and research through an integrative learning experience that involves using the Spanish language to critically examine key cultural texts from the Hispanic world.
Cultural texts studied may include films, literature, art works, propaganda and/or archived ephemera, which act as catalysts for discussion, critical thinking and insight in relation to the Hispanic world. Texts examined chronicle issues and events of historical and political significance, while touching on shared cultural themes.
Through a close reading of Spanish-speaking cultural products of various kinds, students will develop an appreciation for the particular powers of each mode of representation. This subject also introduces students to basic research methods in Hispanic Cultural Studies, such as archival work, translation, interviewing, and the study of primary and secondary sources.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- be able to interpret academic and everyday communication across a number of genres in the target language relative to the entry level;
- understand the use of Spanish in real-life situations and be aware of the contributions of Spanish-Speakers to the economic, intellectual,cultural and social affairs of the Spanish and Latin American nations;
- have acquired enough intellectual sophistication to appreciate historical, cultural and anthropological differences within the Spanish-speaking communities from Spain and Latin-America;
- be learned in researching in the target language by learning to think critically in order to understand and self-reflect on the Spanish and Latin American popular and academic language and culture;
- appreciate and respect diversity and background difference by critically evaluating Spanish-speaking cultures and including the viewpoint of the target culture.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have enhanced analytical skills;
- have enhanced observational skills;
- have enhanced communication skills;
- have enhanced critical skills.
Last updated: 29 July 2022