The Graduate Diploma in Arts (Advanced) allows you to undertake a minor research subject and coursework subjects in a specialist field of study at an advanced level. This course is equivalent to an Arts Honours program if the thesis component is taken. It serves as prerequisite entry to a Masters by Research or PhD for those who have not completed a four-year Arts (Honours) degree in the relevant area.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete the Graduate Diploma in Arts (Advanced) in this area of specialisation should:
- understand the social, political and historical context of law and legal process;
- have developed a specialized knowledge in an area of socio-legal studies;
- appreciate the problems of legal reform;
- gain a deep conceptual understanding of the relationship between law and society;
- be able to critically and constructively discuss the role of law in society;
- gain a high level of critical thinking and analysis and a high standard of academic writing; and
- be equipped to engage in creative and methodologically rigorous, independent and high quality research, integrating theoretical and empirical analysis.
Last updated: 16 March 2021