Mechanical with Aerospace
Aerospace engineers apply the principles of engineering to flight vehicles and to space vehicles. Students who undertake the Mechanical with Aerospace specialisation of the Master of Engineering will take five advanced technical subjects that have been tailored specifically towards aerospace applications. These include subjects in fluid mechanics, propulsion and aerospace control. Given the firm grounding of the course in mechanical engineering, career opportunities are extensive across both aerospace and mechanical engineering.
Intended learning outcomes
To produce graduates who are skilled in mechanical and aerospace engineering principles and who can apply them to complex, open-ended engineering problems to produce solutions.
- Have a sound fundamental understanding of the principles underlying mechanical and aerospace engineering technology
- Have aquired the educational and professional standards of the professional institutions and boards with which the School's courses are accredited.
- Posess a broad knowledge base in mechanical and aerospace engineering, and of fundamental engineering principles, so as to facilitate effective communication with those other professionals with whom mechanical and aerospace engineers routinely communicate
- Understand the basic principles underlying the management of physicsal, human and financial resources
- Posess analytical, problem solving and engineering design skills, including those appropriate for sustainable development.
- Have verbal and written communication skills that enable them to make a meaningful contribution to the changes facing our society
- Have an appreciation of the interpersonal and management skills required by engineers in undertaking professional activities
- Have acquired the mathematical and computational skills necessary for the solution of theoretical and practical problems in mechanical and aerospace engineering for further professional development and for meeting future changes in technology
- Have developed professional ethics and responsibility towards the profession and the community
- Understand the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer, and the need for sustainable development.
Last updated: 8 December 2023