|Fees||Look up fees|
Students are required to conduct a piece of independent research on an applied topic. The completed work is then submitted for assessment in the form of an applied research essay or research report, which is not to exceed 5,000 words. The Head of the Department of Accounting and Business Information Systems or their nominee must approve the topic.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Synthesise current research literature with a view to identifying a research question that is relevant to the area chosen for the research project and that has potential to contribute to the research literature;
- Critically evaluate the extant research literature in the field chosen for the research project from both a theoretical and empirical point of view;
- Show evidence of a wide range of source material to complete a research topic which is well written including in terms of its structure and argument.
On successful completion of this subject, students should have improved the following generic skills:
- Problem solving;
- Collaborative learning and team work;
- Application of theory to the practice of scientific enquiry;
- Evaluation of data and other information related to practical research problems;
- Interpretation and analysis of information obtained in relation to practical research problems;
- Ability to access data from a range of sources;
- Articulation of responses in written form;
- Ability to engage in discussion where appropriate;
- Ability to complete and present the outcomes of a piece of research in a manner that is well-written, both in structure and argument.
Last updated: 2 December 2019