|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides an insight into the complexities and challenges of making business decisions in an international setting. Students will be assigned in small groups to research a business problem in an international context. Working in teams, they will conduct research, analyse, evaluate and propose practical solutions to an assigned business planning or business development exercise. This will be supported by online modules and seminar work equipping the students with knowledge of approaches, tools and techniques for completing the task and an understanding of report formats appropriate for conveying the results. During the practicum, in-depth research will be undertaken in identifying the scope, opportunities constraints and recommendations of the exercise. Students will learn to work with unstructured and incomplete information in international business settings, to develop research and networks to support their enquiry, to work successfully in teams, to present their findings and seek and receive constructive feedback in a range of settings. Students will also be encouraged to plan, reflect and modify their approaches to improve the outcomes of their efforts in managing the business project.
Intended learning outcomes
- Research, analyse, evaluate and propose practical business solutions within the bounds of the exercise.
- Apply theory and practice of graduate level studies in commerce to resolving real-world business issues.
- Identify key strategic questions, assess options related to the exercise, communicate progress and check direction with team members, and mentors.
- Demonstrate key employability attributes including cross-cultural communication skills, interpersonal skills, time management, commercial acumen, initiative, independent learning and team skills.
- Research, problem solving and critical thinking.
- Verbal and written communication skills through discussion and assigned tasks.
- Project management, including accurate scoping of project, development of approaches, timelines, execution and timely completion.
- Team work demonstrated by good communication within the group, understanding of skills brought by individual members, organising for achievement and presenting group report.
- Communication skills in an international business context.
- Documentation preparation and presentation skills through assigned tasks and the practicum exercise.
- Interpersonal skills through the practicum exercise and assigned tasks.
Last updated: 10 November 2019