|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject involves a major design project that concentrates on conducting a more detailed design of a piece of civil infrastructure such as railway station, airport, school, sports stadium, shopping centre, etc. The design would have scope for structural solutions, site works, innovative energy and water supplies, etc., and would be based on a broad conceptual design proposal that has been given to the design team. The design proposal will be presented at a functional level where the broad specifications of the design and how it might be constructed are generated and evaluated, rather than detailed specifications required for construction.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
Having completed this subject the student is expected to:
- Conduct thorough investigations to scope an engineering design problem
- Generate alternative solutions to within a predefined conceptual framework
- Assess and choose optimal engineering solutions using a multi-criteria assessment incorporating net present value, social and environmental considerations
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team to design a complex engineering project with definite deliverables and completion dates
- Apply core management techniques to the team activities
- Communicate design solutions via written and oral reports.
- Ability to undertake research and apply critical thought to formulate engineering solutions
- Potential for innovation and creativity
- Proficiency in report writing
- Capacity to summarise and present design concepts and outcomes
- Understanding of how to engage with and work constructively and productively in an integrated multi-disciplinary team to achieve mutually agreed outcomes in a constrained time frame.
Last updated: 2 December 2019