Term 2 - Online
Term 4 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject investigates the role and structure of the Primary Years Programme curriculum framework. Participants will explore how learners construct meaning, including how understanding is acquired and what differentiates it from knowledge. There will be a strong theoretical component as well as a critical evaluation of the development and implementation of curriculum that is intended to support the integration of the Essential Elements. Strategies for supporting the development of higher order thinking skills, including the role of student-directed concept-driven inquiry, the art of inquiring, and building communities of learners will be investigated. There will also be a practical emphasis on the development and implementation of a concept driven transdisciplinary curriculum.
Intended learning outcomes
This subject will enable students to:
- Explore and demonstrate an understanding of how knowledge and understanding are constructed and how they differ;
- Critically examine concept driven curriculum and strategies for supporting higher order thinking skills, including the art of questioning;
- Articulate strategies for promoting student-directed inquiry and the development of higher order thinking skills;
- Demonstrate the ability to design and critique curriculum that incorporates and balances PYP standards and practices; and
- Articulate the importance of the skills, concepts, knowledge, attitudes and actions as conceived in the PYP.
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of essential knowledge and skills to perform competently as a specialist teacher;
- Comprehend the intellectual, social and psychological aspects of their work with learners and synthesize theory and practice;
- Articulate key concepts of a concept driven transdisciplinary curriculum;
- Design and implement curriculum that creates a balance between the acquisition of essential knowledge and skills, and the search for meaning and understanding; and
- Evaluate and use constructive criticism of their own work and, if applicable, of the institutions in which they work.
Last updated: 4 December 2019