|Fees||Look up fees|
A shorter thesis of 20,000 to 22,000 words on a topic to be approved by the course coordinator.
Intended learning outcomes
Students who complete this subject should:
- have demonstrated the ability to design, develop and carry out a piece of research in the area of linguistics;
- have demonstrated specialist knowledge in the area of their research and make a demonstrable contribution;
- have achieved advanced competence in research skills and techniques such as the collection and management of primary data, the selection of an appropriate methodology, and the analysis of data;
- have demonstrated an understanding of and commitment to research ethics or code of practice; and
- be acquainted with relevant software packages to support fieldwork research.
Students who successfully complete this subject should:
- have further developed their understanding of what it is to conduct research, including transferable skills of project design, identification of relevant sources of information and of relevant methods for approaching an inquiry, and ability to follow through and complete a large-scale independent original project;
- have developed their skills of professional written communication to a high level; and
- have developed their organisational skills in managing a self-directed larger scale, longer term project.
Last updated: 2 December 2019