|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject will present an introduction to an advanced topic in geometry or topology serving to prepare students for a PhD in mathematics. The specific content will vary depending on the subject coordinator.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Describe the main results of the topic covered.
- Apply independently the methods used in the topic prove minor results.
- Explain the core methods of proof used in the topic.
- Understand and explain examples applying the main results of the topic.
- Problem-solving skills: the ability to engage with unfamiliar problems and identify relevant solution strategies.
- Analytical skills: the ability to construct and express logical arguments and to work in abstract or general terms to increase the clarity and efficiency of analysis.
- Presentation skills: the ability to present mathematics both orally and in writing.
Last updated: 10 November 2019