Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject aims to further develop students' understanding of Arabic language in use, as well as their written and oral communication skills in Arabic. Students will engage in diverse activities to enhance their sociocultural and pragmatic competence in Arabic and learn to speak confidently and independently, in front of an audience, about topics related to the Arab World. Through weekly readings, analysis of a wide range of materials (texts and audio-visual materials), engaging in discussions and debates, as well as independently conducted small-scale research, students will enhance their knowledge of aspects of the history and the political, economic, social and cultural development of the Middle East and North Africa. Students will also learn more about the peoples inhabiting the Arab World and about some of the historic and current environmental and developmental issues they face.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Use their knowledge of Arabic to communicate effectively and accurately, confidently and independently, both orally and in writing, on a variety of topics related to the subject content;
- Conduct independent research, using both Arabic and English sources, and use the knowledge thus gained to write, or to present orally, informative, analytical and evaluative pieces about the MENA region.
- Use their socio-cultural and pragmatic competence in Arabic to engage in interaction with peoples of diverse ethnic backgrounds in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA region) in a socioculturally sensitive manner;
- Use their knowledge of the historical, political, economic and cultural development of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa to engage in informed and meaningful conversations, discussions and debates on a variety of topics concerning the MENA region;
- Use their knowledge of the historical, political, economic and cultural development of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa to produce personal, informative, evaluative and analytical pieces of writing thereof.
- Further develop sensitivity, skills and knowledge facilitating cross-cultural communication.
- Integrate active self-expression with conformity to rules and norms of communication.
- Hone research skills through the preparation oral presentations & essay preparation.
- Hone public speaking skills through class discussions and presentations.
- Hone critical thinking and persuasive, argumentative and analytical skills though preparing and delivering presentations and participating in class discussions and debates.
Last updated: 24 November 2021