Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
Building Information Modelling (BIM) and its associated technologies and processes can integrate the project team and facilitate high-quality and cost-efficient work. This subject will introduce BIM principles and break the jargons around BIM topic. During tutorials, students will learn about most popular BIM software in the industry and will work with the software to create and manage building project information throughout design, construction and operation phases. In other words, the subject will focus on creating 2D and 3D representations of a building information model using Autodesk Revit Software. Later, Autodesk Navisworks software will be used for 3D models checking and detecting clashes in 3D models, following by developing a 4D model (construction sequencing) and finally developing 5D model (quantity extraction) of the project. Throughout the process, students will use Autodesk Fusion Team to collaborate with their teammates and share projects documents and information.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of BIM concept, its principles and challenges;
- Demonstrate knowledge of BIM tools, i.e. Autodesk Revit, Navisworks, etc.
- Develop 3D, 4D and 5D building information models;
- Demonstrate the ability to detect clashes, construction scheduling and simulation;
- Extract data from models using relevant tools;
- Describe the benefits, risks, and barriers to the use of BIM applications.
On successful completion of this subject, students should have the following generic skills:
- Correct use of technical terminology relating to BIM;
- Develop 3D, 4D and 5D representations of building information;
- Digital modelling skill;
- Identification and familiarity with building components;
- Understanding of construction documentation used in simple building type;
- Effective participation as a team member.
Last updated: 9 September 2021