Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Term 1 - Online
Term 4 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject explores the range of approaches useful for researching health and human services practice. In this subject “practice” is defined broadly to encompass policy and organizational practice as well as practice with individuals, groups and communities.
A range of research methods will be considered, from descriptive and exploratory studies to establishing the effectiveness of ‘what we do’. The subject will explore the research methodologies required to undertake community-based studies as well as review the benefits of, and theoretical approaches used in accessing existing databases. The subject will focus on the current organisational emphasis on evidence-based and evidence-informed practice and will discuss the skill and knowledge base required to access, evaluate and implement research evidence to inform practice. It will promote a theoretical and skill base of practice research that will support practitioners to engage in reflective and evidence informed practice.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- approach research literature in an informed and critical way as a basis for evidence based practice;
- formulate research questions arising from practice situations including those concerning policy and program development;
- develop a research design and a beginning understanding of implementing the design through appropriate data collection and analysis methods;
- be aware of ethical issues involved in practice research;
- be aware of processes for engaging service users or consumers in practice research; and
- be competent in searching, extracting and evaluating research evidence as a basis for practice implementation.
Students will be provided with the opportunity to practice and reinforce:
- high level written communication skills
- advanced information and interpretation skills
- advanced analytic, integration and problem-solving skills
- demonstrate competence in critical and theoretical thinking through essay writing and online discussions
Last updated: 30 July 2021