Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - On Campus
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject provides students with an understanding of the current issues in the management of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure and ICT service provision. Topics covered include the commoditisation of ICT, standardisation, need for interoperability, development of service-oriented architectures, adoption of enterprise-wide architectures and networked services (cloud computing). The alignment of ICT infrastructure management and ICT service provision with organisational business and strategic goals is a key theme of the subject. Students are expected to become familiar with current ICT governance frameworks and their implications for effective ICT infrastructure management.
Topics covered in the subject include: current trends in IT infrastructure usage and administration, commoditisation and convergence of information technologies, impact of mobile IT and cloud computing, role of standards, need for interoperability – semantic, technological and organisational, interoperability frameworks, IT acquisition, service orientation, ICT governance frameworks, ICT management domains, development of IT enterprise architectures, and career paths for IT infrastructure managers.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Explain current trends in ICT infrastructure and their impacts on ICT infrastructure management
- Demonstrate an awareness of current ICT governance frameworks and their relevance to the development of ICT infrastructure management plans and proposals
- Analyse current ICT infrastructure management plans and practice, and assess their degree of alignment with organisational business and strategic goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need for the achievement of interoperability in enterprise-wide ICT infrastructures; and
- Demonstrate an understand of the role and importance of ICT service provision and acquisition in the responsibilities of an ICT infrastructure manager
On completion of this subject, students should have developed the following generic skills:
- Literature searching and analysis
- Critical thinking
- Case study analysis
- Independent learning
- Report writing
Last updated: 11 February 2021