Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Term 1 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
Foundations of Leadership, as part of the Professional Certificate in Workplace Leadership, is designed to offer significant practical learning opportunities for a diverse range of early career professionals seeking to develop their business, managerial and leadership skills and knowledge. It is also suitable for emerging leaders, or those who have been promoted, or seek promotion and wish to develop their leadership capabilities to complement their technical knowledge and expertise, in order to get the most out of themselves and their teams.
In Foundations of Leadership, students will learn and apply core knowledge, skills and tools needed to be effective organisational leaders. This subject investigates what leadership is, why it is important and analyses the factors that impact upon workplace leadership and the impacts leadership has in an organisational context. This subject will begin by focusing on leadership of self, and the role of leadership in contemporary organisations. Students will undertake diagnostic assessment and reflective exercises to gain insights into their leadership values, strengths and weaknesses and use these to create a personal leadership development plan. Students will also undertake a range of learning activities including simulated leadership challenges to demonstrate core capabilities including; interpreting and influencing, planning and problem solving. They will also apply and develop fundamental leadership skills such as collaboration, relationship building, listening and communication and self-reflection. This subject provides the foundation for the second subject in the course, Leadership in Practice, in which students will develop more advanced leadership knowledge and skills for leading and influencing within increasingly complex organisational environments and systems.
This subject includes lectures with leading experts, case studies, leadership diagnostics, contemporary readings and resources, facilitated and group discussions.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate insight into what leadership is and why it is important
- Understand the broader trends affecting the future of work and modern workplace leadership
- Identify the knowledge, skills and applications of effective workplace leadership
- Analyse key issues related to effective leadership
- Explain how leadership impacts on employee performance, both positively and adversely
- Reflect upon his or her role, values, personal ability and opportunities to practice effective leadership within his or her teams, departments and broader organisations
- Design a personal leadership development plan
On successful completion of this program, students should have enhanced their skills in:
- Self knowledge and regulation
- Taking values-based action.
- Reflecting critically on their own learning and development
- Understanding and demonstrating ethical behaviour in leadership
- Analysis and problem solving
- Written and oral communication
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- Strategic thinking and decision making
- Effective teamwork and interdisciplinary collaboration (including online)
- Synthesising ideas, theories and data when developing solutions to problems related to management and leadership.
Last updated: 3 November 2022