Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location in first half year 2021.
|Fees||Look up fees|
The subject will enable health professionals to develop and consolidate skills when caring for children with life limiting conditions. The course will explore palliative approaches to care, the diversity of diagnostic groups, symptom management, psychosocial and ethical issues for palliative children and their families.
Throughout the course work, students will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of teaching methods including; workshops, seminars, tutorials and role playing with much emphasis placed on adult /group learning and sharing.
This subject will consist of 5 teaching modules;
Evidence Based Palliative Care
Incorporating: Basics of quantitative and qualitative research, ethical issues, evaluation, quality activities, implementing research into practice and dissemination strategies (eg. presentations, publications etc).
Illnesses Encountered in Paediatric Palliative Care
Incorporating: General principles of paediatric palliative care. Malignant conditions, neurodegenerative conditions, chromosomal disorders and congenital anomalies
Symptom Management in Paediatric Palliative Care
Incorporating: assessment and management of children of varying ages with a range of diagnoses (including children with disabilities).
Psychosocial and Spiritual Aspects
Incorporating: supporting children with life-limiting conditions, their siblings and parents and self-care for health professionals. Including bereavement care.
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of this subject students should:
- Explore the principles of evidence-based practice.
- Identify symptoms often experienced by patients during the palliative phase of an illness.
- Explore current evidence-based strategies for complex symptom management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the epidemiology of paediatric palliative care.
- Recognise the difference between adult palliative care versus paediatric.
- Understand the current definition and best practices in paediatric palliative care.
- Develop knowledge & understanding around the grief process & its impact on the child, parents, siblings, family members, friends & community supports such as school.
- Recognise the complexity of paediatric palliative care and the many ethical issues it encompasses.
- Oral and written communication
- Problem Solving
- Application of theory to practice
- Interpretation and analysis
- Critical Thinking
Last updated: 18 December 2020