Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
March - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is a core subject within the Master of Epidemiology and the Master of Science (Epidemiology) and an elective within the Master of Public Health and Master of Environment.
This subject includes advanced, practical and emerging methods in epidemiology and follows on from Epidemiology 1 and 2. Within this subject there will be four themes:
- Screening and Diagnostic tests. Within this theme the design of studies to investigate the validity and reliability of diagnostic and screening tests will be discussed. Practical computer labs on the analysis of real epidemiological data evaluating such tests will be conducted.
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and observational studies. Within this theme the critical appraisal, and practical aspects and steps in conducting systematic reviews and meta-analyses will be covered. STATA computer practicals will be included.
- Epidemiology in Practice. Within this theme the practical aspects of working as an epidemiologist will be included. Such activities include considering the ethical implications of research, developing project protocols, data, the use of administrative datasets in research, standardisation, bias analysis.
- Emerging activities and issues in Epidemiology. Within this theme emerging methods and issues will be discussed.
Intended learning outcomes
- Design studies to investigate the validity and reliability of diagnostic and screening tests and analyse data to assess the validity and reliability of the tests.
- Communicate the results of epidemiological studies
- Critically appraise and undertake systematic reviews and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and observational studies
- Work as a member of a team in developing a piece of epidemiological work
- Use appropriate study design methodology and consider related aspects (e.g. ethics, scope) in the development of a research proposal
- Discuss emerging methods and issues in Epidemiology
Last updated: 17 March 2021