Digital Studies at Melbourne is about how the digital revolution has transformed our world and about how humanities, social science and creative arts knowledges and people have helped shape the digital world. We examine place, power and diversity in the digital age – the ways in which digital transformations have been differently experienced and understood along axes including place, class, gender, sexuality, age, ethnicity and nationality. Digital Studies also teaches some of the skills and tools that a HASS-educated and digitally-skilled workforce will need in our connected and data-rich world – subjects offer introductory training in digital research methods, with no pre-existing understanding of computing or programming needed. Finally, Digital Studies introduces students to some of the ways that digital data analytic methods and the new possibilities of interrogating and analysing vast bodies of digitized texts and images are transforming our knowledge of human society and culture, giving students an enhanced understanding of the scope and ambition of work currently being undertaken in the digital humanities, digital social sciences and creative arts.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this specialisation, students should be able to:
- Identify and critically evaluate the political, cultural and socio-economic contexts in which digitization and data operate and how people have used digital tools to transform society and culture
- Assess debates in digital studies, digital social sciences and digital humanities and develop an ability to critically evaluate different interpretations of digital transformations and generate their own analyses of them
- Acquire and apply practical skills with digital tools and methods
- Appraise the potential of digital tools and methods to transform HASS disciplines
- Communicate effectively, including by using digital tools and platforms
- Work individually and in groups with independence, self-reflection and engage in problem solving activities.
Last updated: 10 November 2023