About this course
In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- concurrent enrolment in a University of Melbourne undergraduate degree; and
- a study score of 30 in VCE Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4 or equivalent, or successful completion of university-level studies equivalent to VCE Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4.
Meeting this requirement does not guarantee selection.
In ranking applications, the Selection Committee will consider:
- prior academic performance.
The Academic Board may determine levels of prior academic performance which guarantee selection.
The Selection Committee may seek further information to clarify any aspect of an application in accordance with the Academic Board rules on the use of selection instruments.
Applicants will satisfy the University’s English language requirements for the Diploma by meeting the English language requirements for the Bachelor degree in which they are enrolled concurrently.
• Students are permitted to enter the diploma at the start of any semester before the completion of the companion undergraduate degree.
• Up to 50 points of advanced standing into the Diploma in Mathematical Sciences may be granted on request to students who complete appropriate first year and second year mathematics or statistics subjects within the degree. At the commencement of each individual mathematics or statistics subject, the subject is assigned to one of the degree or the diploma, according to the student’s approved enrolment for the semester in which the subject is taken.
• The Diploma in Mathematical Sciences cannot be awarded until all requirements of both the diploma and the undergraduate degree have been met.
Inherent requirements (core participation requirements)
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry. The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
Last updated: 10 November 2023