About this course
Phone: + 61 3 8344 0149
Contact hours: https://unimelb.edu.au/professional-development/contact-us
Further information: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/find/courses/graduate/master-of-applied-data-analytics/
Intended learning outcomes
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- select suitable analytics techniques for a variety of real-world scenarios and demonstrate an advanced understanding of a complex body of specialised knowledge in the way they are integrated, to make a substantial contribution to evidence-based practice
- synthesize and evaluate the complex factors involved in applying analytics solutions to real-world operational and strategic issues, including different interpretations of unstructured evidence and multiple alternative approaches
- create a plan and a design for the various components of an overall real-world analytics solution for completion by different members of an analytics project team
- accurately assess the issues involved in real-world operational or strategic applications of analytics and suggest enhancements that improve both the relevance of data that is collected, as well as compliance with current/future privacy requirements
- identify potential ethical issues in the application of an analytics approach, or solution, to a real-world scenario and suggest remedies that comply with the relevant professional code/s of conduct
- judiciously apply research principles and methods, as well as autonomy, expert judgement and flexibility, to create bespoke analytics approaches for different contextual scenarios and effectively disseminate research outcomes to a variety of audiences.
Students will be provided with the opportunity to practice and reinforce:
- High level written communication skills.
- Data manipulation and interpretation skills.
- Analytic, integration and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstration of competence in critical and conceptual thinking through report writing and online discussions.
- Academic Distinction Graduates will develop evidence- and practice-based knowledge of applied analytics that is relevant across disciplines. They will demonstrate a high level of skill designing and conducting analytics investigations, and communicating with clients and stakeholders. Graduates will be critical and creative thinkers, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning.
- Active Citizenship Graduates will be prepared to engage in the application of analytics in their professional and community contexts where they will be able to initiate and oversee analytics projects, and practice analytics thinking. They will understand the existence of multiple sets of values, how those affect the application of analytics, and how to make the values conversation an explicit component of analytics activities.
- Integrity and Self-Awareness Graduates will be familiar with existing professional standards and competencies for the application of analytics. They will have developed a sense of intellectual integrity regarding analytics theory, method and application. They will demonstrate well-developed analytics-based decision-making skills and the ability to reflect critically on their practice of analytics.
Last updated: 1 December 2023