To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject develops a fundamental understanding of concepts used in the analysis, design and building of digital systems. Such systems form the information and communication technologies (ICT) that underpin modern society. This subject provides a foundation for subsequent subjects, including ELEN30013 Electronic System Implementation, ELEN90066 Embedded System Design and ELEN90061 Communication Networks.
Digital systems - quantifying and encoding information, digital data processing, design process abstractions;
Combinational logic – timing contracts, acyclic networks, switching algebra, logic synthesis;
Sequential logic – cyclic networks and finite-state machines, metastability, microcode;
These topics will be complemented by exposure to the hardware description language such as Verilog and the use of engineering design automation tools and configurable logic devices (e.g. FPGAs) in the laboratory.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- 1. Interpret and relate fundamental tools in the analysis of combinational and sequential logic systems, and understand the role and limitations of important digital abstractions
- 2. Recognise fundamental concepts, including hardwired and programmed approaches, to implement digital systems that achieve specified functionality
- 3. Use a hardware description language for the documentation, simulation and synthesis of digital systems
- 4. Use digital hardware development platforms in the laboratory.
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals;
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution;
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance;
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large;
- Capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning;
- Expectation of the need to undertake lifelong learning, capacity to do so.
Last updated: 24 January 2023