To learn more, visit 2023 Course and subject delivery.
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject is designed to cover recent theoretical and empirical developments in social and personality psychology, to provide students with an opportunity to examine up-to-date research critically, and to develop new research ideas. Topics will be selected from social cognition, attitudes, self and identity, personality and individual differences, emotion, interpersonal and group processes, and applications of social and personality psychology.
Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge: On completion of this subject students should demonstrate an understanding of:
- research methods and data analytic techniques used in personality and social psychology and how they are used to investigate and explain processes at different levels of analysis;
- current theories, models, methods, and debates in social and personality psychology;
- The strengths and limitations of the different research methods and analytic techniques used in personality and social psychological research.
Skills: On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate current perspectives on various topics within personality and social psychology;
- clearly communicate theoretical and practical implications of theories and empirical findings in personality and social psychology
- identify appropriate research methods and analytic techniques to test personality and social psychological research questions;
- derive testable predictions from current theories of personality and social psychology
Application of knowledge and skills: On completion of this subject students should be able to apply their knowledge and skills to:
- Write essays and research proposals that demonstrate an understanding of (i) the theoretical basis of research questions in personality and social psychology, (ii) appropriate methods for empirically testing research questions in personality and social psychology, and (iii) how to interpret results of research in personality and social psychology research in the context of current theories.
- Critically evaluate personality and social psychology research studies and techniques;
Students in this subject will be given appropriate opportunity and educational support to develop skills in:
- analysis and construction of arguments
- written communication in academic assignments and reports
- verbal communication in presenting information in small group formats
- workload planning and task management
Last updated: 11 November 2022