July - Dual-Delivery
|Look up fees
In this subject, students will explore visual communication and be introduced to Auslan, the language of the Australian signing Deaf community. In doing this, students will delve into the linguistic and cultural aspects of Auslan and develop skills in communicating using this visual language. As part of this subject, students will learn from signing Deaf adults and benefit from their lived experience and understanding of Auslan and communication. Students will gain an awareness of social and cultural diversity and an appreciation of social inclusion and the importance of access and equity. Students will be required to reflect on their individual experience learning a visual language.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Investigate the linguistic components of Auslan
- Critically reflect on developing knowledge of Auslan and visual communication skills
- Evaluate the connection between language and Deaf culture
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components of Auslan
- Synthesise components of Auslan to demonstrate linguistic understanding.
This subject will assist students to develop the following transferable skills:
- Critical reasoning and thinking
- Problem solving
- Creativity and innovation
- Teamwork and collaboration.
Last updated: 20 February 2024