Semester 1 - On Campus
Semester 1 - Online
|Look up fees
This subject explores the main areas of grammar, at the level of the word, the sentence and the text. Throughout the subject, material is drawn from across a range of contexts of use and varieties of English, including Standard English. Through seminars and practical application students gain a systematic understanding of the major features of English grammar, including morphology, syntax, and stylistics, with additional focus on the role of grammar in language use, and descriptive and methodological approaches to the analysis of grammar.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a firm understanding of the major elements of English grammar
- Identify and describe the main grammatical features in a wide variety English texts using appropriate terminology and techniques of linguistic analysis
- Demonstrate an awareness of a range of issues in the study of grammar in applied linguistics.
At the completion of this subject, students should have:
- Developed their skills in critical thinking and analysis through seminar discussion and completion of analytical exercises
- Developed their skills in thinking creatively and in theoretical terms through forming judgements and arguments from data and by critical analysis
- Developed their skills in communicating knowledge intelligibly and economically.
Last updated: 31 January 2024