|Look up fees
This subject introduces students to popular guitar styles that have had widespread impact over the past century, including blues, rock and global folk styles.
In weekly tutorials, students will learn to play examples of these guitar styles, culminating in an end of semester group performance. Through weekly lectures students, students learn to recognise the musical and social significance of a range of global guitar styles.
Feedback on guitar skills will be provided to students at weekly tutorials. Students will be expected to demonstrate their understanding of styles and topics through regular quizzes based on weekly readings.
Guitars will be provided at tutorials. Students will need access to an instrument for practice outside of class.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- demonstrate basic maintenance and tuning techniques on the guitar;
- perform simple examples of global guitar styles in small groups;
- identify and demonstrate basic guitar playing techniques;
- recognize and critically discuss global guitar styles;
- use appropriate musical vocabulary to describe diverse musical styles.
Last updated: 20 February 2024