|Look up fees
This subject introduces students to strategies for thinking about and constructing original music. Students will write chamber music based on instruments available within the class. The subject will be divided into three 4-week modules, each beginning with a process of sketching and culminating in a short completed project to be performed in class.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- structure self-imposed guidelines for composing new work;
- communicate with performers through clearly presented music notation;
- rehearse and perform new music in a group context;
- respond critically and creatively to new music by others.
On completion of this subject students should have developed:
- the ability to think laterally in relation to concepts and problem-solving;
- the ability to communicate in an abstract medium;
- the ability to take initial creative ideas through to completion, including publication, public presentation and promotion.
Last updated: 31 January 2024