Employers in the environmental sector seek graduates who are able to integrate knowledge across disciplines, collaborate effectively in cross-disciplinary teams, and translate information for different audiences. New areas of environmental specialisation are emerging that require synthesis of knowledge from historically distinct fields, for example combining a knowledge of environmental sustainability with business entrepreneurship, or drawing on knowledge of public health to improve landscape planning processes, or practices that require advanced knowledge of both energy systems and environmental law.
The tailored specialisation is designed to support students to develop skills for integration, collaboration and translation while gaining depth of knowledge in one or more fields of inquiry. The flexible structure enables student to tailor subject selection to meet personal learning objectives, developed in consultation with an academic advisor.
Graduates will work in roles that require translation of knowledge across different specialisations or in emerging ‘boundary crossing’ specialist roles.
Students who complete the Master of Environment will have:
- Knowledge to undertake professional practice in environment or sustainability, including:
- Specialised knowledge in an environmental discipline or field of practice, including knowledge of recent developments in this field
- Knowledge of the cross-disciplinary nature of environmental issues and professional practice to promote sustainable futures
- Knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to specialist field of environmental inquiry
- Skills for collaborative and creative problem solving in environmental practice, including:
- Ability to critically analyse and synthesise environmental knowledge
- Ability to envision environmental change and propose pathways to realise this change
- Ability to communicate complex environmental knowledge and research effectively to a range of audiences
- Ability to work effectively in cross-disciplinary teams
- Technical skills for professional practice and research in field of specialisation
- Demonstrated capacity to:
- Exercise well developed judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner in an environmental discipline or professional field
- Plan and execute a substantial project in an area of environmental research or practic