Civil with Business
Admission/Course Enquiries - Samintha Perera
Melbourne School of Engineering
Currently enrolled students:
This course is discontinued and is no longer available for admissions.
Civil engineers design and create many different kinds of infrastructure to support our society. This specialisation offers the opportunity to study the core elements of civil engineering in the context of the business of engineering practice. It is the objective of this course that graduates have acquired a sound fundamental understanding of the scientific principles underlying a number of sub-disciplines including sustainability, environmental processes, structural engineering, geo-technical and hydraulic engineering, transport, and project management.
In addition, students study a series of subjects that are directed specifically to develop knowledge around the business context of engineering including marketing, financing, engineering contracts, economic analysis and strategic planning. Great emphasis is also placed on the development of generic skills with management, communication, problem-solving and design and innovation in civil engineering.
Interaction with industry professionals is available through guest lectures, field and project work. Career opportunities abound in government, construction, property, infrastructure, consulting, mining, land, water, and waste.
Intended learning outcomes
On the successful completion of the Master of Engineering (Civil with Business) students should have:
- a) Gained advanced knowledge of the principles of civil engineering underpinning the provision of infrastructure;
- b) Had the opportunity to develop research principles and methods in the field of civil engineering;
- c) Cognitive skills to demonstrate mastery of theoretical knowledge and to reflect critically on theory and professional practice of civil engineering in the context of the business world;
- d) Cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories, and to apply established theories to different bodies of knowledge or practice related to business and civil engineering;
- e) Communication and technical research skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions, professional and business decisions to engineering and non-engineering audiences;
- f) Technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse, theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship in the field of civil engineering
- Graduates of the Master of Engineering (Civil with Business) will demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills in the fields of infrastructure engineering with specific emphasis on the financial and business contexts of engineering practice:
- g) With creativity and initiative to new situations in professional practice and/or for further learning;
- h) With high level personal autonomy and accountability;
- i) To plan and execute a substantial piece of scholarship.
Last updated: 24 January 2023