About this course
Associate Dean (Research Training)
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Level 1, Brownless Biomedical Library
The University of Melbourne (Parkville Campus)
Victoria 3010, Australia
Current students: email@example.com
- The DMedSc is classified as a research doctorate with thesis requirements and examination comparable to the Doctor of Philosophy.
- Candidates enrol in a thesis subject for the duration of the degree.
- The normal period of candidature is 3 years for full-time candidates (part-time equivalent) with the possibility of up to 12 months extension.
- All candidates are required to complete a minimum of 12 months full-time research at the University in order to benefit from planning, conducting and writing up their research within a University community and environment.
- Normally the entire degree is undertaken at the University.
- A candidate will have appropriately experienced supervisor/s and an Advisory Committee who in consultation with the candidate, arranges a course of supervised research designed to suit the individual requirements and interests of the candidate.
- A candidate may be required to supplement their research program by attendance at, or enrolment in, additional subjects if considered necessary by the supervisor(s).
- All candidates are expected to attend departmental seminars over the period of their candidature.
- Academic progress is reviewed regularly throughout the degree.
- All candidates for the degree will be examined on the basis of their thesis which is examined externally. The thesis should normally be between 50,000 and 80,000 words (and may not exceed 100,000 words) in length excluding tables, illustrations and bibliography.
- Candidates should refer to the University policy library and the Graduate Research Hub for further information regarding candidature, academic progress, ethics, thesis preparation and examination.
- To be eligible to submit a thesis for examination, students must be enrolled in their course for the minimum period of 6 months full-time equivalent.
- The DMedSc may normally be undertaken in any department of the Melbourne Medical School and in some Faculty-based academic units such as the Centre for Youth, Mental Health or Department of Medical Biology (WEHI). Please note that entry is subject to the availability of a suitable supervisor and research project and the approval of the Head of Department.
Last updated: 11 February 2021