|Year of offer||2019|
|Subject level||Graduate coursework|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is a five-week, pre-semester intensive program which offers students the opportunity to consolidate and extend their expertise in critical thinking and academic writing, while supporting their transition to living in Melbourne. Through a range of activities students develop an understanding both of Australian academic culture and of the social and cultural diversity in Australia. The subject utilises a variety of information and communication technologies, along with emphasising self-directed learning strategies and full participation in collaborative learning. The subject is delivered by academic staff and information librarians with extensive experience and knowledge from a range of relevant curriculum areas.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- gain familiarity with Australian life and culture,
- acquire an understanding of Australian academic culture,
- build on their existing knowledge to gain additional expertise in academic writing and research skills, and
- extend their academic skills in critical thinking and analysis, including critically evaluating academic research and scholarship.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- have an understanding of social and cultural diversity,
- have the capacity to examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge,
- be adept at learning in a range of ways, including through information and communication technologies, and
- reach a high level of achievement in writing, generic research activities, and communication.