|Look up fees
This subject offers students the opportunity to consolidate and extend their expertise in critical thinking and academic writing, while supporting their transition to living in Melbourne. Through a range of activities students develop an understanding both of Australian academic culture and of the social and cultural diversity in Australia. The subject utilises a variety of information and communication technologies, along with emphasising self-directed learning strategies and full participation in collaborative learning. The subject is delivered by academic staff and information librarians with extensive experience and knowledge from a range of relevant curriculum areas.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students should:
- Gain familiarity with Australian life and culture
- Acquire an understanding of Australian academic culture
- Build on their existing knowledge to gain additional expertise in academic writing and research skills
- Extend their academic skills in critical thinking and analysis, including critically evaluating academic research and scholarship.
At the completion of this subject, students should:
- Have an understanding of social and cultural diversity
- Have the capacity to examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge
- Be adept at learning in a range of ways, including through information and communication technologies
- Reach a high level of achievement in writing, generic research activities, and communication.
Last updated: 31 January 2024