Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 2 - Dual-Delivery
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject aims to introduce the advanced analysis and design of steel and concrete composite structural members used in multi-storey buildings, bridges and other infrastructure. Students will develop an understanding of the procedures required for the design of cold-formed steel members, steel structures in fire, composite slabs, composite beams and composite columns according to Australian and international standards. In addition, the subject also introduces the finite element method for the analysis of frame and plate structures as well as simulates structural design exercises provided by senior experienced practicing engineers. These exercises consist of both conceptual and detailed designs which consider constructability, functionality, sustainability as well as compliance with standards to ensure safety and serviceability.
Intended learning outcomes
- Perform structural analyses of frames and plates using the finite element method
- Undertake computer analyses of structural systems using commercial package and validate the results with those obtained from hand calculation
- Demonstrate an understanding of Australian and international design codes for the design of composite members
- Conceptual design of structures and the determination of design parameters
- Undertake preliminary and detailed design of a typical structure
- Design cold-formed steel members, steel structures in fire, composite slabs, composite beams, composite columns and connections
- Ability to apply knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals
- Ability to undertake problem identification,formulation, and solution
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to complex problems and to design and operational performance
- Proficiency in engineering design
- Ability to conduct an engineering project
- Ability to communicate effectively, with the engineering team and with the community at large
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, as a team leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
Last updated: 10 September 2021