|Year of offer||2019|
|Fees||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
In this subject students study a number of recent Australian literary works selected from a range of genres. The emphasis is on contemporary work. The approach will include discussion of ways of reading, and production of creative responses to the selected texts. Students will read one significant work in preparation for each weekly class.
Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- respond at a high level both critically and creatively to contemporary Australian writing;
- conduct research to develop a scholarly text on an aspect of Australian writing;
- develop a self-initiated creative project;
- take responsibility and show leadership within a group situation;
- engage in public discourse through the written word and in groups; and
- understand further, the range of possibilities and difference in Australian literary culture.
At the completion of this subject, students should gain generic skills in:
- critical and creative thinking;
- academic scholarship;
- seeking knowledge through a range of sources;
- synthesizing knowledge from a range of fields;
- participating in group activities towards shared goals;
- engaging in public discourse through written word and group work; and
- valuing difference within our culture and valuing different cultures.