Please refer to the return to campus page for more information on these delivery modes and students who can enrol in each mode based on their location.
Semester 1 - Online
Semester 2 - Online
|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject examines the structure and basic building blocks of high performing organisations from a senior management perspective. It covers tools and techniques to conduct both an analysis of the external environment and the strategies to align the appropriate internal skills and capabilities.
The subject includes:
- The role of leadership in strategy formulation and its balance with execution
- Overcoming the barriers to implementation of strategic plans
- Business integration and managing technology
- Entrepreneurship in modern business.
Intended learning outcomes
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILOs)
On completion of this subject the student is expected to:
- Summarise the frameworks and concepts commonly used to analyse an organisation’s external environment and to build the corresponding internal resources and capabilities
- Appreciate the fundamental issues involved with integrating and coordinating activities in different organisational structures
- Articulate the leadership and management role of the engineer in technology based enterprises
- Summarise the characteristics of long term high performing organisations
- Present options for effective negotiation and conflict resolution
- Develop, or improve, team-work skills.
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Understand the nature of general management, the role of the leader in organisational development and the dynamics that underpin effective leadership and how engineering can influence and be influenced by these principles
- Appreciate the importance of both technical and social issues including people management, teamwork and negotiation and conflict resolution and their relevance in an engineering context
- Articulate the roles and attributes of leadership and teams in negotiating change and how to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Understand how functional management disciplines can be integrated into processes and projects in organisations
- Appreciate current ideas and models of change management and continuous improvement.
Last updated: 1 June 2021