|Fees||Look up fees|
Digitalisation affects all aspects of the value chain and all levels of business. This subject embraces the wide range of industrial developments related to digital transformation such as industrial internet-of-things (IIOT) and digital twins. Digital transformation of industrial systems is defined as the application of digital information (from multiple sources, formats, owners) for the enhancement of manufacturing processes, value chains, products and services.
This subject consists of four modules. The first module provides an overview of the technologies, approaches, applications and rationale for modern digital systems deployments in industry. The following three modules then focus on three distinct dimensions to digital transformation in industrial systems that have been identified: Vertical Systems Integration (connecting production to the business), Horizontal Systems Integration (connecting a manufacturer to suppliers, customers and partners) and End-To-End Systems Integration (connecting concept, design, prototype and product development). Each of these modules will examine industrial challenges, solution areas, relevant technologies and applications.
Intended learning outcomes
On the successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- ILO1. Explain the existing and new roles for digital systems in an industrial environment.
- ILO2. Analyse the characteristics of different dimensions, solution approaches and technologies contributing to digital transformation of industrial systems.
- ILO3. Apply appropriate principles to design digital solutions for the vertical, horizontal and end-to-end integration of operations and supply chains.
- ILO4. Analyse the challenges associated with the use of digital solutions at different dimensions.
- The ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals.
- The ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution.
- The ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance.
- Capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning.
- The ability to communicate effectively with the engineering team and with the community at large.
Last updated: 10 November 2023