|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject introduces students to advanced performance techniques in traditional Chinese instrumental music. Through weekly lessons culminating in an end-of-semester performance, students develop their skills in playing a Chinese instrument, reading traditional notation, and performing in a large silk-and-bamboo ensemble. Through attendance at two concerts, students will learn to evaluate Chinese traditional music in contemporary performance contexts. Dizi, sheng, yangqin, erhu, zhonghu, zhongruan, daruan, and traditional percussion instruments are available for instruction.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- perform to a basic standard on a traditional Chinese instrument;
- work cooperatively as a member of a silk-and-bamboo ensemble;
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of traditional Chinese music principles and techniques in their performance;
- demonstrate advanced understanding of the performance contexts of traditional Chinese music today.
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- demonstrate an openness to new ideas about music;
- work cooperatively in a music ensemble;
- think critically and independently as a musician;
- understand and appreciate cultural diversity.
Last updated: 15 May 2020