|Fees||Look up fees|
This subject covers knowledge of the ranges and characteristics of standard Western instruments and techniques for notation and combination of diverse instruments. The subject will involve practical performance of the assignments directed by students. There will be a short-answer test, covering instrumental ranges, transposition, terms, techniques, and brief notated exercises as covered in lectures.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- identify the ranges and capabilities of standard Western instruments and voices;
- write effectively for standard Western instruments and voices, demonstrating understanding of their timbral characteristics individually and in combination;
- transcribe and/or arrange simple pieces for diverse instruments;
- notate scores and parts for performance clearly, using correct conventions;
- collaborate on the performance and direction of their own work.
On completion of this subject, students should have the ability to:
- effectively reinterpret existing works;
- see new potential in old objects;
- communicate with groups effectively.
Last updated: 15 May 2020