|Fees||Look up fees|
The aim of this subject is an improved understanding of educational practice and theory, leading to deeper comprehension and innovative practice. Through an examination of their practice students will develop sophisticated conceptions of how teaching and learning support knowing and understanding. We begin by thinking through, writing about and sharing our personal experience of teaching and learning situations. These teaching and learning situations will be analysed and synthesised through an exploration of educational philosophies, particularly those concerned with experience. This process will enable interpretation and evaluation of the various ways our conceptions of teaching and learning support knowing and understanding. This will result in students’ increased capacity to improve teaching practice, leading to more effective learning, knowing and understanding.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this subject students should be able to:
- Explore and describe their own and other’s experience of teaching and learning;
- Analyse understandings of practice via theory which informs their comprehension of how teaching and learning support knowing and understanding;
- Interpret and evaluate the ways in which various conceptions of teaching and learning support knowing and understanding via a synthesis of practice and theory;
- Design improved and innovative versions of educational practice leading to more effective learning, knowing and understanding.
On completion of this subject students should:
- Have in-depth knowledge of educational practice and theory;
- Be critical and creative thinkers, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning;
- Examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge across a broad range of disciplines;
- Expand their analytical and cognitive skills through diverse learning experiences;
- Have the capacity to participate fully in collaborative learning and to confront unfamiliar problems;
- Have a set of flexible and transferable skills for different types of educational practice;
- Be a thoughtful writer about educational practice and theory.
Last updated: 2 December 2019