About this course
Majors, minors & specialisations
Majors & Minors
Students must complete at least one major. A major usually consists of 100 points of study within a single discipline comprising:
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 1 (this may include an Arts Foundation subject in non-language majors/minors)
- Three subjects (37.5 points) at level 2
- Three subjects (37.5 points) at level 3 (including a capstone subject for non-language majors)
Variations to Major Requirements
- Students who undertake a major in Chinese Studies from entry point 1 (beginners level) must complete ten Chinese subjects (125 points) taken as Arts discipline subjects.
- Students who undertake a major in Psychology must complete ten Psychology subjects (125 points)comprising eight subjects (100 points) taken as Arts discipline subjects and two subjects (25 points) at later years taken as breadth (12.50 at level 2 and 12.50 points at level 3).
- Students who undertake a major in Economics will complete nine Economics subjects (112.5 points) comprising three subjects (37.5 points) taken as Arts discipline and six subjects (75 points) taken as breadth.
- Students may complete a maximum of two majors.
- Students may take no more than ten subjects (125 points) in any one discipline area.
- Subjects cannot be credited to more than one major or minor. Students planning to complete two BA majors must complete two separate majors with no overlap in subjects.
- It is not possible to complete a major and a minor in the same area of study.
Students may complete one minor. A minor consists of 75 points of study within a single discipline comprising:
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 1
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 2
- Two subjects (25 points) at level 3
Capstone subjects are not available in the minor.
Arts Foundation Subjects:
|Arts Foundation Subjects|
Majors and minors are available in the following areas of study:
|Ancient World Studies||100|
|Australian Indigenous Studies||100|
|English and Theatre Studies||100|
|Hebrew and Jewish Studies||100|
|History and Philosophy of Science||100|
|Linguistics and Applied Linguistics||100|
|Media and Communications||100|
|Politics and International Studies||100|
|Screen and Cultural Studies||100|
|Spanish and Latin American Studies||100|
The following areas of study are available as minors only:
|English Language Studies||75|
|Knowledge and Learning||75|
|Law and Justice||75|
Last updated: 3 December 2021